Friday, October 2, 2009

End o' week musings







Wow! I just realized that I have two weeks' worth of catching up to do with you! Let's jump right in..





On the 24th I went to Knott's Halloween Haunt. It was a lot of fun, especially visiting Club Blood and getting big hugs from the werewolves. Yes, I know it's strange for werewolves to hug rather than chew on you, but these creatures were my bodyguards when I went to Scare School. It was a reunion, so of course there's hugging!!





The rest of the evening was fun. I enjoyed seeing the new mazes- Dia de Los Muertos and Terror of London and the things that have been changed in the old ones. It's truly never the same experience twice at Haunt. If you go, I recommend the Boo-fet, as the food is wonderful and it gives you a break from all the craziness outside.





Last Saturday I danced at the LA County Fair, accompanied by drummer Ric Sarabia. It went well despite the heat. We had a smallish crowd, but they were enthusiastic and stayed for the entire performance. Ric sang and played his drum and his tunes had the audience grinning. They also liked my swordwork.




After the show, I changed back into my "civies" and Ric and I went to the racetrack. We both played the ponies and I won $10... not too bad for just picking the horse because I liked its number..lol!


Later we wandered the fair and visited Louise at the Flower Pavilion, which is conveniently just steps away from the wine tasting. We sipped a flight of wines and all agreed that the ice wine was the best.



Ric and I worked our way out of the fair by checking out the shopping and then stopping in at the barns. I petted the sweetest black and white calf. I must have been rubbing just the right spot, as she lifted her head and nuzzled my cheek. Ooooo a cow kiss! Now that's a good day at the fair!





I started my Hawaiian and Polynesian dance class Wednesday. It's pretty cool and surprisingly close to belly dancing. I think I may end up being pretty good at it. Other excitement over the past two weeks has included interviews with composer and musician Hafez Nazeri, blues band The 44's and vocalist/violinist Emilie Autumn.



I am planning to catch Hafez's show at the Pantages Saturday with the Rumi Symphony. And on Wednesday I will be going to see The 69 Eyes at the Galaxy Concert Theatre in Santa Ana.








In rotation this week: The 69 Eyes, Ken Waldman, Rumi Symphony, Orange, The Socererors and Mary Mary.


Photos we got 'em: Some cute pet photos that were e-mailed to me and photos of my friend Cindy's new digs (forest and beach just steps away from each other! sooo jealous!!).




Thought o' the week: Explore. I've been a bit down because not everything in my life is going as I had hoped. I've also somehow ended up with a tad more time on my hands than usual. For ages I've been griping about being too busy, soooo I shouldn't complain, but.... And that's one of the reasons I decided to try the dance class.


Another reason is to recharge my brain. I felt that I was getting a little stale and needed to expand my horizons. It's important to keep stimulated by learning new things and pushing yourself to try different experiences that may be out of your comfort zone. Don't laugh-- yes, I dance, but I don't exactly have the figure for a grass skirt... I feel a little self-concious in class, as even though I am picking up the steps and moves, I don't think I look as expected. I plan to work hard and be the very best I can at the dances.


Raise your head and shine. Grab every opportunity to do something different. Never take the chance that you might look back and regret your life.

Keep on rockin'
Mickie












No comments: